27.11.11

O Wondrous Love from I John 4

This week was a meaningful one to say the least. It was the first time I have ever gone to a friend's house for the entirety of Thanksgiving break instead of spending the fall holiday season with my family (even though I really wanted to). I spent the time with a very close friend (Will) in Holly, Michigan and had some great time of what I like to call "mutual-discipleship" (or iron sharpening iron discussions). Anyways, I had a phenomenal break just randomly hit with little trials along the way, but scheduling a time to talk to a good Northland Camp friend from California and finding out I had a small clan of close Northland Camp friends around the area of my friend Will as well. This alone would make for a pretty fun break all ready not having to work, being with your best friend, and getting to do pretty much whatever we wanted.

The real blessing, though, was my personal study in my devotions through the holiday. Before this year, I really never had solid, meaningful, daily devotions with the Savior of my soul. Sad, I know. So, that being said, I really wanted to not necessarily "make up for lost time" with God, per se, (because that is a foolish thinking process) but instead I wanted to make something meaningful of the occasion. I was rescued from my sin 14 years ago in the month of November, when, through the preaching of God's Word by an evangelist at my church at the time, and some guidance from my dad, I asked Jesus to cleanse me of my sins and be my Savior after a Wednesday night service by my bedside. The salvation was just another reflection that drove me to make something meaningful to my personal digest of the Word of God during a holiday where thankfulness is expected even from those who do not associate themselves with God (at least in the United States).

Anyways, I finished a study through I & II Corinthians that I had begun the month prior and was deliberating before leaving my college campus for what book study to tackle next. It hit me like a ton of bricks when I saw my little booklets I bought from Northland Camp. To make a long story very short, the camp I counseled at the previous summer (mentioned a few times all ready) offered booklets that we use during our camp weeks to guide us through a particular passage in scripture with campers all summer, but structures it in a one-week program. The past summers' booklets I bought as many as I could before I left with intentions to work through them as well. One of them was from last summer, the study was through I John 4. I heard so many things from this passage and even read through the whole book a few times the past few months for prayer group so this was nearly jumping out at me as what I should study next.

I John 4 jostled my devotional life into yet another pulse of passion for Christ-likeness as I read through a new segment each day. Love and Fear are discussed in great detail not just in the Bible, but also the booklet as they ask very pointed, heart-revealing questions in the book. First, John asks us to test the spirits that try to influence us to see if they are even of God. If they do not confess that Jesus came to earth to take on flesh as a man, those people are not of God, period. Next he shows that God is greater than the entirety of the world, in power, sacrifice, love, and vitality. Furthermore, John shows us that Christians are of God in a variety of ways and ends his thoughts by defining love. How does John define love? As God. God is love. If you do not know God, you do not know love. What a powerful statement! He doesn't stop there! He further shows how we can display our love to others, how love is actually God giving us his love and perfecting it inside of us by dwelling in His children! Lastly, John closes by showing us how we can love one another. He states that love cannot co-exist with fear. Perfecting love casts fear out of the room. It drives out fear vehemently like Jesus drove out the money changers from the temple. How is it that this works? Because fear exists when we are tormented by what scares us. If I am fearful of how someone looks at me and try to love them, the love is empty and selfish and not selfless. I only can love because God loved me first and died for me.

After reading 21 verses in I John 4, there is no way I can be un-thankful for what God has given me. This Love is wondrous! The song at the end of the post is one I got on a CD from the Steve Pettit Evangelistic Team from a few years back that really reassures my love that is inexistant apart from Christ's finished work on the cross. God's love will never let me go. Romans 8 and I John 4 explode with this truth. Appreciate God today, give God His breath back, you owe Him.


 These are the Lyrics to the song "O Wondrous Love"

O wondrous love that will not let me go
I cling to You with all my strength and soul
Yet if my hold should ever fail
This wondrous love will never let me go

O wondrous love that’s come to dwell in me
Lord who am I that I should come to know
Your tender voice assuring me
This wondrous love will never let me go

I’m resting in the everlasting arms
In the ever faithful heart
The Shepherd of my life
You’ll carry me on Your mighty wings of grace
Keeping me until the day
I look into Your eyes

O wondrous love that sings of Calvary
The sweetest sound this sinner’s ever known
The song of Your redeeming Son
Whose wondrous love will never let me go

O wondrous love that rushes over me
I can’t escape this river’s glorious flow
You overwhelm my days with good
Your wondrous love will never let me go

0 comments:

Post a Comment