28.2.12

A Disconcerting Status, from a friend


I saw a very disturbing status today on Facebook that caused me to write this post. Granted it is a little confrontational, I can advise you that you please "chew the cherry and spit out the pit" should I be off-base in any manner of speech. I would just like to preface what I state here that this is purely out of love for the individual and for those in agreement with this individual. I just want to correct our thinking to think biblically and to make sure our goal is not ourselves, but God's glory and the helping of others to the same end (to glorify God).

The status clearly stated was this: "just because i wander doesn't mean i'm lost." While this seems feel-good, encouraging, and helpful, I couldn't help but feel an unsettled spirit in my heart over this. I would like to add something to this status and edit it a little bit, but again I don't know the heart of this particular person so I can only take the statement at face value. First, I want to show you why I believe this statement is not entirely biblical, and even in the feel-good status remarks we need to always have our "vigilant hat" on.

When we wander, our affections for God are compromised and we choose sin. That means we choose to ally ourselves with the world's mindset (a mindset absent from God James 3:14-16). Furthermore, James 4:4 states that this alliance with the world is a close friendship with God's enemy. So close a relationship, in fact, that not only does James call us out for being a best friend to the world, but also an adulterer/adulteress. You and I have an adulterous relationship with sin in such a blatant manner, not necessarily blatant and obvious others, but to God. God isn't stupid. He knows exactly what you and I do every moment of every day, and yet we think we can just put our "Christian clothes" back on and act like nothing happened.

Wandering does not mean your lost, but it does not help your case prove against being lost. All this being said, I implore you all: let us strive together being like-minded, with the same love, being of one accord, of one mind...esteeming others better than ourselves (Philippians 1:29-2:4).

0 comments:

Post a Comment